Juniper Berries

Figs from thistles, and all that...

Saturday, April 11, 2009

Sous Vide Kick

I'm on a total DIY sous vide cooking kick. Three hits and one miss, so far. No photos yet, I'm afraid, but here's a quick rundown of sous vide successes and failure.
  • Shrimp with garlic and butter
My kids and I loved it; flavorful and juicy. Jenn hated the texture. Oh well.
  • Moose roast with bacon
Big hit! 14 hours left this lean, lean roast almost fork-tender, and still beautifully pink from edge to edge, a nice medium-rare. Quick browning @ 500°F, and Yorkshire gravy. Lots of positive feedback on this from the 6 people who ate it, even after a day in the fridge. “Best moose I've ever eaten.”
  • Carrots with sweet spice glaze
Carrots tasted mellow and cooked, very carrot-y, with no bitterness. Texture was firm but not crunchy; hard to describe. Overall very good, but I need practice reducing the glaze.
  • Salmon
Delicious. Juicy and tender, but cooked.
  • Shrimp again
Flop. I overcooked them and they came out flavorless (!) and gritty (!!). Diego and Lewis still ate them happily, with an orange mayonnaise I whipped up. The combination worked fairly well.

What should I try next?
Comments: Post a Comment

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home